An inside look at how life is seen by me. You never really know what I'll think of, or why for that matter. But there's usually a rhyme and reason for it, usually.

Saturday, July 15, 2006

The Beauty of a Child's Heart, the Beauty of a Father and Son (Summer is No Longer Taken in Stride but in Faith)

Without trying, I have completely toppled the very basis of what I intended to be my finest literary work...and the inspiration was given to me through the profound simplicity of children.

I am awestruck because my understanding of true beauty has yet again been humiliated by what God merely tinkers at everday. In other words, I have no universal clue what our Heavenly Father can do. I know you're saying "Duh Sean, now what gave you that obvious idea?". Well, with a great smile I will gladly tell you.

So I walk out of Family Christian bookstore carrying my bag of 'B Collision', 'Grace Like Rain', and another profound book of Donald Miller (all generously recieved through the gift of $30 in gift cards) and as I pop in my newly claimed prize composed by the 'David Crowder Band' specifically the acoustic reindition of 'Wholly Your's' the tiny composite gears in my mind start to turn. I am truely amazed. Through these innocent children, God demonstrates His love for me by demonstrating it to a boy named Jeremy.

Jeremy was in my second Backyard Bible Club every day this past week. He's a typical little boy about to attend 3rd grade who is more interested in dunking Josh in a tub of water than thinking about any girl...for the moment. None the less, he's fun to be around. However, he didn't know Salvation. And for that week, he struggled with the idea that Jesus loved him enough to die. But none of these demons could stand beside Divinity as God opened this boy's beautiful heart. Prior to the club on thurday, at precisely 2 a.m., Jeremy's mother made the most important decision in her life and accepted Christ. About 9 and a half hours later Jeremy did the same.

Is this not enough to place a tear in your eye? Well let me add on. The following day, what I saw, was not that 3rd grade boy named Jeremy, but I saw my little brother. One who shared nothing more than a mutual relationship given by the taking of blood. He is now my little brother in Christ. And that next day, you didn't need sight to see the change God had given him. I can honestly say I love Jeremy, he may not realize it, but when I asked for a hug and he gave it back, I wanted to cry. I wanted to cry like I'm trying...........Like I am crying right now. Crying out of charismatic beauty. Everything I have been working for, everything I have valued, everything I have dedicated myself to, has all been yielded to this little boy's commitment to a better life leading to a better alternative.

And as I reflect on the week, I see that it wasn't just Jeremy, but seeing the eyes glow as Jason (a soon-to-be 8th grader) really got to hear how much my Abba loves him. It wasn't just Jason hearing what he hadn't ever make sence to him, but seeing the growth in my good friend Josh's life, seeing him step up and watching him preview the amazing Man of God I know he will one day be. And guys, it wasn't just Josh's maturity, but it was countless other beauties that only a child can make us (at times) over confident teenagers and adults realize. It was seeing that even though I was suppossed to be teaching these kids, God was teaching me. And he did it with 4 year olds.

I pick up my new copy of 'To Own a Dragon' by Donald Miller (a book that shares Miller's experiences about growing up without a father) and reflect on a lengthy but yet fruitful conversation with an employee named Justen at 'Family Christian Bookstore' and the past week layed before me. Finally, several things God had been trying to tell me for the better part of 15 years made sense. These children, this child-me, I knew what it was. So after about 10 minutes of riding in the car with my earthly dad I gather my thoughts of how fortunate I am and unleash my feelings. I say the words I never say to this man enough,
Dad, I love you.

4 Comments:

Blogger cowgirl said...

i like it now you know how amazin a summer is when you are out there working with God than just sitting around.for me this is what i plan my summer around it is the best. now you can go back to school and tell people that this summer was the best.

9:01 AM

 
Blogger Jake said...

Yeah...um....that was really deep. Yeah...nice.

6:17 PM

 
Blogger faith said...

man that was deep. But the great adventure, for all it's fun, is a pretty deep thing (no I'm not talking about being deep under a pile of kids...). I admire your sumation on the great adventure, and I can totally second your feelings. How awesome is it that God let us see such a small glimps of his glory?! I'll never forget my experience praying with two girls to accept Christ! OK, but I am going to make a post about that on my blog eventually, so that is all for now.

9:31 AM

 
Blogger Jake said...

I think that when Faith said "sumation" she really meant 'summary'. And when she said "I can totally second your feelings" she actually meant "I know exactly how you feel". What would she do if she didn't have a superb older brother to come along and translate? She would probably die. By lots and lots of purple flying monkies...

10:17 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home